"A STAUNCH HARVARD MAN"

The writer of the communication which appeared in yesterday morning's CRIMSON poses as a staunch Harvard man distressed at tendencies which he believes exist at Harvard and which he supposes are contrary to the spirit "of the founder and those that helped in placing the university on its feet". Nothing could be more unlike the Harvard spirit which he glorifies, than the narrow and bigoted argument which he advances. If he hopes thus to make Harvard a "Protestant college", he will soon find that the University has ideals which transcend race and religion and which resent such bigotry and medievalism as he represents.

The writer of the communication poses as a staunch Harvard man. But it is not at all certain that he is not a charlatan even in his pose. His rather illegible signature was deciphered as J. E. Sinclair '91. But investigation yesterday disclosed that there was no such man either in the Class of 1891 or in any other class and there is apparently nobody in the Class of 1891 whose name bears resemblance to the signature on the letter.

As was to be expected there has been criticism of the CRIMSON for publishing the communication in question--criticism which the CRIMSON realized was inevitable before the decision was taken to print the article. But free speech has always been a cardinal principle of the CRIMSON. Moreover its recent editorial attack on the Klan seemed to make it especially imperative to allow the other side a chance to express its point of view.

But the CRIMSON has always pointed out that "it assumes no responsibility . . . . for sentiments expressed" in the communication column. In this case the sentiments expressed are entirely contrary to the consistent policy of the CRIMSON and serve only too well to illustrate the absurdity of all those who, whether they be Klansmen or Masons, hold such views. It is gratifying to find in the communications printed today that the feeling of the College will not tolerate such intolerance.