PENN ATTACK OVERCOMES CRIMSON SOCCER TEAM

University Eliminated From League Race by Visitors' 8 to 1 Score--Are Put on Defense from Starter's Whistle

Sweeping the field with an irresistible attack, the undefeated soccer team from the University of Pennsylvania maintained its record and smothered the Crimson under an 8-1 score Saturday afternoon on Soldiers Field. At the same time Yale, which lost 6-1 to the Pennsylvanians, was holding Princeton to a scoreless tie. Since Princeton defeated the University it is clear that the whole team will have to improve decidedly if it expects to come out ahead of Yale next Saturday.

The second League defeat for the Crimson has definitely eliminated the team from the championship race and at the same time established Pennsylvania as the leading contender for the title.

Few flashes of that early season power evidenced against Dartmouth and Cornell were shown by the Crimson Saturday. The visitors took the offensive from the whistle, and although the Crimson made occasional desperate rallies, the Pennsylvanians held the upper hand for almost the entire game. Three goals were made in the first half and five more in the second, Linglebach scoring a total of four. Eldridge scored the only University goal in the middle of the second period.

The line-up was as follows: HARVARD  PENNSYLVANIA Fitton, g.  g., Anderson Furber, r.f.b.  r.f.b., Pancoast Phaneuf, l.f.b.  l.f.b. Castle Pattison, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Shuler Brooks, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Downs Tarnowsky, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Hobson Tuttle, r.o.f.  r.o.f., Stewart Dorman, r.i.f.  r.i.f., Atherton Wright, c.f.  c.f., Linglebach Lamont, l.i.f.  l.i.f., Boos Eldridge, l.o.f.  l.o.f., McLaughlin

Goals, Linglebach 4, McLaughlin 2, Boos, Stewart, Eldridge. Substitutions, Sensenig for Shuler, Gray for Phaneuf, Phaneuf for Brooks. Time, two 45 minute periods. Referee, Peter Garrigan.