NOTABLE ADDITIONS TO CAST COLLECTION MADE IN GERMANY

Acquisitions of Professor Francke to Be Exhibited at Germanic Museum

Professor Kuno Francke, professor emeritus at Harvard, has just returned from a four months' stay in Germany, during which he acquired a number of notable additions to the collection of casts in the Germanic Museum at Harvard University. Among them are six statues of apostles and prophets from Strassburg Cathedral; a relief of the Last Judgement and the figures of the Church Triumphant and Synagogue Defeated from Bamberg Cathedral; six busts of Patriarchs and Saints from the Monastery of Blaubeuren; two 13th century statues of Abraham and Melchisedek from the church at Wechselburg; a 16th century Crucifixion from St. James Church at Lubeok; and the centrepiece of Bruggemann's High Altar at Schleswig Cathedral.

These most recent acquisitions will be placed on exhibition some time during the winter, when they arrive from abroad.

In October Professor Francke, who is also honorary curator of the Germanic Museum, took part in a course of lectures arranged by the University of Kiel in connection with the annual "Kieler Herbstwoche for Kunst and Wissenschaft", speaking on the undercurrent of free thought in the age of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation.