PAST AND FUTURE.

The undergraduate of either of the two universities which find themselves in conflict today is prone to regard the Harvard-Yale football series as something coeval with the founding of the younger universities. As a matter of fact the series, with the background as the youth of today knows it, has been in existence some scant twenty-five years. Before then there were no great stadia and no series of home and home games.

In those days it was thought cheapest and most convenient to have teams meet on a common, unchanging battle ground at Springfield. The modern generation likes to be told of the glory of the old series: the tedious stage coach trip to Springfield, the meagre stands, the disorganized cheering, the "flying wedge", "guards back", the moustached heroes Trafford, Waters, Lake, Morrison, Heffelfinger (that very archfiend of Harvard's followers), and above all the unbelievable goryness of those grim struggles.

But now there are few who care just how hard Lake could plunge, or how many men Heffelfinger could take care of at once. The stars of today command all the attention and their admirers follow every action blissfully indifferent to the fact that in another twenty-five years few will care or remember where the immortal Whoozis caught that pass or how many tackles the great Whats-isname made in the 1923 game. Even the Stadium itself may have passed into oblivion obscured by some new structure which dwarfs the present one. But for undergraduates of today there is no game in all past history which can compare with the one in the little stadium across the river, and games and stadiums of the future may care for themselves and wait their turn to attract their future tens of thousands.