THE PSYCHIC DETECTIVE

The modern "Sherlock Holmes" seems to be following Sir Arthur Conan Doyle into the realm of the psychic. No longer does Scotland Yard, at the all-powerful command of Doyle, call the great detective from a lift of deep research to help in solving all the particularly difficult and interesting murders. Nowadays Commissioner Enright of the New York Police Force calls in Rafael Schermann, famous Polish "psycho-graphologist" to help him solve the enigmatic Elwell case. Verily, truth is stranger than fiction! Thirty odd years ago, every one regarded Sherlock Holmes, the scientific detective, as a type to be found only in fiction, while today such a staid and sober journal as the "New York Times" prints with great solemnity Mr. Schermann's revelations as to the mysterious "Marjorie".

However, it is quite possible that the famous psycho graphologist may prove himself to be the type of detective most suited to modern conditions. It is certain that he has been of considerable help to the Vienna police in recent years in furnishing them with new clues and theories. At any rate, Mr. Schermann does not indulge in table rappings and ectoplasills, which is a most promising sign.