M'GILL PROFITS BY ERRORS AND WINS 2-0

Canadians Send in Fresh Attack Men Every Three Minutes--Morris Chief Cause of Crimson Downfall

Harvard bowed to McGill last night 2 to 0 in a game of lost opportunities. On several occasions a Crimson forward pushed down the lane and passed over to center ice in front of the goal; but every time his team mate assigned to cover the spot was behind, before or nowhere at all. McGill had hardly more than two good chances to score, but on both of these the Canadians profited 100 percent.

A large measure of the credit for the shut-out goes to Morris, the McGill goal tend. Time and again with a quick flick of his stick he turned aside what would have been almost certain scores with a less experienced man in the net. He made two stops for every one of Newell's.

From start to finish the McGill coach shifted his entire forward line at three minute intervals in order to make up for the scant week of practice that he has been able to give his men.

The only score of the first period came a little more than a minute from the end, when the Canadian left wing and center broke through the Crimson forward line in their own territory. McNaughton dribbled the puck along his lane but was soon boxed in by the Harvard defence. He passed over sharply to Glennie, who drove it in before the Crimson defence could spoil his shot.

The second period also produced only one score, which came from a scrimmage in front of the Harvard net. Newell came out of his cage in an attempt to shove the puck behind, but Bell got hold of it first and poked it in behind the goal tender's back. For the remaining 13 minutes the teams fought to a standstill, but on the whole Morris was called upon to stop more shots than the Crimson guard. This was partly due to the fact that Chase knocked down the puck four times as it was flying on its way to the Harvard cage. The Crimson penetrated deep into the opponents territory on several occasions but each time a hurried shot went wild or there was no one waiting in the other lane to take the pass.

Throughout the last period the teams fought it out up and down the rink to no purpose. For the most part the Canadians were content to let one or two of their players start down the rink, but outside of these efforts they played a defensive game. At one time the Crimson seemed in a fair way to break the shut out, when Beals penetrated and passed over to Hodder who stood waiting not more than three feet from the net. As soon as he received the puck however a Canadian player blocked his stick so that Morris was able to deflect the wild shot.

The University squad will assemble for practice again on Monday, December 31.

The summary:

McGill 2, Harvard 0. Goals, Glennie, Bell. Referees, Sande and Stewart. Time, three 15 minute periods. HARVARD  McGILL Walker, Austin, l.w.  r.w., Bell, O'Donnell Hodder, Gardner, c.  c., McGerrigle, Glennie Beals, Hill, r.w.  l.w., Wyse, McNaughton Chase, l.d.  r.d., McMahon Crosby, Hammond, Pratt, r.d.  l.d., Dempsey Newell, g.  g., Morris