LOVE 1, 2hf.

Chicago University has recently had a hot argument of a rather unusual sort. Students in the psychology department, and others, have urged that the university should offer a course in the Psychology of Love. A correspondent to the Daily Maroon, with no little eloquence, demands; "Why are teachers silent on the psychology of love? Why is discussion so limited? Probably because the problems of love are felt to be unsolvable".

This is pessimism, in truth, for a student at a co-educational institution. Surely his appeal ought to be answered. The prospect of such a course appears profitable. Laboratory work in psychology is as common as in chemistry; strange things are said to happen behind closed doors on the top floor of Emerson Hall; and at a nearby women's college "psych" is such a fad that several hundred students are learning two unfamiliar foreign languages, merely for the purpose of computing a certain mental factor. But at Chicago, and in the field of love psychology, the possibilities are infinite.

It would be understandable if the authorities denied the student's appeal on the ground that a course in that subject is unnecessary. If an age of Freudian novels and the Enlightenment of Youth, when "he facts of life" are taught, at the Mayor's request, to children in the New York public schools, it might not be supposed that anyone would care to elect the subject in college. Medieval documents, recently investigated by a University professor, have disclosed the knowledge that love was a disease well understood even by our ancestors of eight centuries ago, a fact which would seem to eliminate any need for further research; and the popular side is well cared for by the best of text boks on the subject. "Jurgen" and the like, which require no professors to interpret them.

Yet the official answer from the faculty of Chicago University does not consider these points. Instead, the objection is raised that "the type of student who would register for such a course probably would not be the serious minded one. He most likely would be a searcher after the sensational and salacious" Surely the faculty has for once misjudged the students!