MALLORY WILL TALK ON CLIMBINE MT. EVEREST

To Speak in Living Room of Union at 8 o'Clock Tomorrow Night--Lecture to be Illustrated by Photographs Taken During Ascent of Mountain

Mr. George Liegh Mallory, a leader of the Mt. Everest expedition, will talk on "Climbing Mt. Everest" in the Living Room of the Union at 8 o'clock tomorrow evening. The lecture will be illustrated throughout by a series of photographs taken during the ascent. Since last October Mr. Mallory has been speaking before immense audiences on both sides of the Atlantic. The lecture will be held under the joint auspices of the Union and the Harvard Travellers Club. This club was founded about 15 years ago by graduates of the University, its purpose being to encourage travel and exploration. The activities of the club are at present concentrated in monthly meetings open to all members of the University at which some traveller recounts his experiences.

Mr. Mallory, an English university man of scientific attainment became famous by scaling some of the highest peaks in the Alps. Because of his experience he was chosen to make a preliminary survey of the world's highest peak in 1921.It was largely due to his knowledge of high altitudes that the Mt. Everest expedition succeeded in reaching, last May, a spot 27,235 feet above sea level--the highest point ever trod by human beings.

In the final dash for the summit Mr. Mallory and two other succeeded in reaching a spot 1700 feet from the summit. There a solid wall of ice stretched upward to the peak. Footholds were cut in this, in a last desperate effort to complete the journey. However utter exhaustion compelled a hasty retreat.