1926 BASKETBALL TEAM DOWNS ANDOVER 25-20

Consistent Scoring by Smith on Free Throws Clinches Game for Crimson--Star Freshman Forward Also Leads in Field Goals

The Freshman basketball team defeated Andover at Andover last Saturday by the score of 25-20, largely because of a superiority from the foul line. Smith threw 11 free throws for the Crimson against Mumby's four for the Blue. In addition to this the Freshman forward caged three field baskets and proved to be the outstanding player of the game.

Andover took the lead with a field goal soon after the opening whistle, but the Freshmen followed with two baskets and thereafter never relinquished the lead. The first half ended with the score in favor of the Freshmen, 18-9, but the Andover team rallied in the second half and almost tied the score. With five minutes to play the score stood 23-20. Both teams were playing exceptionally hard, but the Freshmen were able to maintain a steady defense throughout, and prevented further scoring by the Blue.

Smith was very consistent in the forward line, but while he led the scoring, many of his goals were due to the excellent passing of Jones. Mumby was the outstanding player for the schoolboys, securing one half of their points with three field goals and four free throws.

The final game on the 1926 schedule will take place next Saturday when the Crimson team will play the Yale Freshmen. The University Freshmen have had a successful season; their last six games having resulted in successive victories.

The summary of Saturday's game: HARVARD 1926  ANDOVER Jones, r.f.  l.g., Hitchcock Smith, l.f.  r.g., Randall, Shoop Rauh, Reed, c.  c., Miller, Brockleman Maher, r.g.  l.f., Mumby Elberfeld, Combs, l.g.  r.f., Billhardt, Potter

Score, Harvard 1926, 25; Andover, 20. Goals from floor, Smith 3, Elberfeld 2, Reed, Maher, Mumby 3, Randall, Hitchcock, Miller, Billhardt, Potter. Goals from fouls, Smith 11, Mumby 4. Referee, M. W. Souders. Time of halves, 20 minutes.