DISCUSSES PROTECTION AGAINST POISON GASES

Captain Phillips, in Giving Lecture Before R. O. T. C. Students, Describes Perfection of Masks--Can be Worn 12 Hours Without III Effects

Captain Thomas Phillips, chemical warfare officer of the First Corps Area, delivered his second and last lecture before the first-year men in the University R. O. T. C. yesterday morning. He will deliver the same lecture this morning to the second section of the course in the basement of the Freshman Athletic Building.

Captain Phillips in his first lectures traced the development of poison gas in warfare from Biblical times to the present day, and in his lecture yesterday he dealt mainly with the protective methods that have been taken in order to counteract the effects of the various types of poison gas.

"Poison gases have their value in peace times," said Captain Phillips. "There is one case of which I know when five sheriffs checked 3,000 striking miners, who intended to burn the colleries, just by liberating tear gas, thrown from hand grenades."

Not a Barbarous Weapon

Captain Phillips also asserted that poison gas as a lethal weapon was no more barbarous than rifle or shell fire, for if it kills it kills instantly or not at all. He then read extracts from medical journals that reported that only one per cent of the wounded died as a result of gas poisoning.

"As regards protection against gas," declared Captain Phillips, "masks have now been perfected to such a high degree of excellence that it is possible to wear one for 12 hours without feeling any ill effects." Captain Phillips also said that horses, dogs and even pigeons have been given protection against gas.

"As for mustard gas and Lewisite which are toxic poisons to anything that they touch," added Captain Phillips, "the only protection is a suit, similar to oilskins, that covers the whole body but which so hampers a man as to make him unfit for actual combat."