COACHES DRILL CREWS ON FUNDAMENTAL POINTS

Oarsmen Have Three-Mile Paddle on the Harbor Under Direction of Coach Muller--Balance Is Greatly Improved

Slow rowing was once more the order of the day for the two University crews at their new quarters on Boston Harbor yesterday afternoon. The water was calm and in spite of the rain, each crew covered approximately three miles during the course of the practice.

There was a marked improvement in the balance of the boats yesterday, and since the necessity of perfecting this point was one of the determining factors in the move to tide-water, the fact was a source of great satisfaction to the coaches. As yet no departure has been made from a slow paddle because it is felt that several days may be spent with profit on balance and other points impossible of perfection on the machines before any attempt is made to test the racing potentialities of the oarsmen. The fact that there are only three scheduled races for the University crew this spring with the consequent extended period of possible preparation also make it likely that a considerable lime will be sports on fundamentals prior to practice in a gradual raising of the beat and other elements of a more advanced nature.

Coach Muller has expressed himself as well satisfied with the conditions on the harbor and with the progress made thus far, and it is probably in view of the present condition of the ice on the upper Charles, that the crews will remain at the Shawmut Club for some time to come. The rowing program for this afternoon will follow in its main outlines the work of the crews yesterday.