EASTMAN CAPTURES JUMP AT WINTER CARNIVAL

MEMBERS OF COLLEGE MAY STILL ENTER TRACK CONTESTS

Yesterday afternoon 22 men participated in the broad jump, the first event of the annual Winter Carnival, held in the baseball cage at Soldiers Field. The winner was C. A. C. Eastman '24 who, with an allowance of 3 1-2 feet, had a total jump of 21 feet 3 inches. This was one inch more than the best effort of S. B. Jones '26 and O. V. Wederbrand '25, each of whom had a handicap of 2 feet, and were tied for second place. The other men in the finals finished in the following order: A. J. Bronstein '25, T. B. Malmud '25, and A. D. Hoffman '25.

This afternoon at 2.30 o'clock the javelin throw will be contested, and this will be followed at 5 o'clock by the high jump, the shot put, and the pole vault. These events will be on a handicap basis and are open to all men in the College, but all those who wish to participate in these, and the other events, should sign up immediately in the blue books at the H. A. A., Leavitt and Peirce's, the Freshman dormitories, or the Locker Building. The managers of the Carnival have made a special effort, by arranging for handicap contests and novice races, which are only open to those who have never won a track medal in college, to give inexperienced men an equal opportunity with the members of the regular track squad to win the medals which the H. A. A. will award to the three winner in each event. Since one of the chief purposes of the carnival is to bring new and promising material to the attention of the coaches, any men who are interested in track work should take part in the meet.

The events and respective times for tomorrow are as follows: 2.30 o'clock, discus and hammer throws; at 3 o'clock, handicap 40-yard dash, novice 40-yard dash, relay race between weight men and pole vaulters, handicap mile run, handicap 300-yard run, publication relay race, novice 600-yard run, handicap 660-yard run, 45-yard hurdle race, interclass relay race, and managers' relay

On Sunday at 4 o'clock in the Columbia Club of New York the executive committee of the I. C. A. A. A. A. will meet to discuss the rules which will govern all competitions to be held under the auspices of the association, and to revise the old rules in an attempt to make them agree as far as is possible with those of the National Amateur Athletic Union. The University representative will be C. V. Chandler '23.