CRIMSON FENCERS FOIL STRONG COLUMBIA TEAM

FENCING CLUB LOSES IN DUELLING SWORDS CHAMPIONSHIP

Captain E. H. Lane's three victories were the important factors of the University fencing team's defeat of Columbia Saturday afternoon at the Hemenway gymnasium. Although the final score with the foils was 5-4 and 3-0 with the duelling swords, the result of the match was not in doubt after the defeat of Barrett 7-6 by E. L. Lane '24, in the fourth match of the afternoon. With a lead of three matches to one at this point, Captain E. H. Lane '24 won two of the remaining five matches, defeating Bloomer seven touches to four and Fuertes seven to three.

Bloomer was the strongest of the visitors, winning the Blue and White's first victory by defeating Roland, Fleeer '24, seven touches to six ,and also scoring a seven to four victory over G. S. Sharp '24 in the last match of the meet.

The summary of the matches follows:

Foils.--E. H. Lane '24 defeated Barrett (C), 7-4; E. H. Lane '24 defeated Fuertes (C), 7-3; E. H. Lane '24 defeated Bloomer (C), 7-4; E. L. Lane '24 defeated Barrett (C), 7-6; E. L. Lane '24 defeated Fuertes (C), 7-3; Bloomer (C) defeated G. S. Sharp '24, 7-4; Barrett (C) defeated Roland Fleeer '24, 7-4; Fuertes (C) defeated Roland Fleer '24, 7-5; Bloomer (C) defeated Roland Fleer '24, 7-6.

Duelling Swords.--J. K. Watson '23 defeated Bloomer (C), 1-0; J. K. Watson '23 defeated Huber (C), 1-0; C. J. Shearn '23 defeated Bloomer (C), 1-0.

The University Fencing Club entered two teams in the Eastern Team Duelling Sword Championship in Boston Saturday night, but failed to gain the championship. Team A, composed of J. S. Barss 1G., C. J. Shearn '23, and J. K. Watson '23 was defeated in the preliminary round by the B. A. A. team, 5-4. Team B, composed of Burke Boyce 1G., W. R. Brewster 1G., and S. H. Ordway Jr. 2L. tied the B. A. A. team while the N. Y. A. C. fencers won from the M. I. T. Army and Navy Club, 6-3. In the first round of finals the B. A. a. team was defeated by the N. Y. A. C., 6-3, and hence the University Club did not compete further.