NOTED SPEAKERS ADDRESSED MEDICAL SCHOOL SOCIETY

Work Arranged so as Not to Overlap With Students' Association

Late in August the original secretary of the Medical School Society, Mr. George V. Smith, wrote a letter to each new student coming to the Medical School and enclosed a printed list of rooms available in the vicinity of Long-wood Avenue a map of the region round about the school; a summary of the average expenses of a student at the Harvard Medical School and a letter of welcome.

When the school opened in September an information bureau was operated in the Administration Building and information of all kinds was put at the disposal of the students. Harvard Handbooks, too, were given to new men, and assistance in making rooming arrangements was rendered. At the end of the second week of the term an opening reception was held jointly with the Students' Association, everyone in the school being cordially invited. The whole affair was a very informal one and everything was done to make the men, especially the new ones, feel at home. Dr. C. W. Drinker, Professor of Physiology, introduced by Dr. Hale, Dean of the school, gave a very interesting and practical talk.

A financial campaign was carried on simultaneously in all four classes with the result that over two hundred and fifty dollars were collected for the work of the society. The organization is now on a sound financial basis.

President Eliot Spoke

Several speakers were obtained to talk to the students of the school on various occasions, and all of these meetings were attended by a large number of men. On October 26th President Emeritus Charles W. Eliot spoke on "The General Practitioner".; On November 19th Dr. Charles R. Brown of Yale addressed the society. "Boston's Program on Medical Requirements" was the title of a talk given at the school on December 6th by Mayor Curley. Dr. G. B. McGrath on January 15th addressed a group of over one hundred students on "Some of the Responsibilities of the Physician to His Profession". On April 6th Dr. R. C. Cabot spoke to a group of students in a very informal way, having no set subject for his talk. Questions were written out before the talk by the men who were present and Dr. Cabot answered these in a broad and fair-minded way.

Data concerning students' expenses were collected from all four classes during the year and a compilation of the result is now being made so that a printed circular will be available by next summer for the use of men coming to the school for the first time. Information concerning ways and means of getting employment during the school year was gathered at the same time.

In February some question arose as to how much the work of the Medical School Society and the Students' Association over-lapped. This matter was carefully gone into with the result that the future secretaries of the Medical School Society appointed by the Phillips Brooks House Association in Cambridge will become ex officio members of the cabinet of the Students' Association. The result will be one financial campaign and greater cooperation in every way between the two organizations. This new plan will not only give the secretary all the latitude he requires to carry on social service, hospital, and boys' club work, but will strengthen him in getting into more intimate contact with the students of the school.

Opportunities Bright for Next Year

The society has, I believe, filled a need in the life of the school, and next year, under the new regime, much more should be done. If the school finally obtains the dormitory which it needs very much, certain broader aspects of the work of the society may be emphasized, and discussion groups or religious gatherings may be held more often than they are now.

This report would not be complete without a word of appreciation for the cordial cooperation of the Dean's office in all matters relating to the society and its work, in compiling room lists etc. Help and advice have always been cheerfully given. Finally, I wish to thank most sincerely Mr. George V. Smith, the first secretary of the society for the year 1922-23, who left school in January and who is chiefly responsible for all the work and progress of the society to date; and also the members of the student committee for their efforts in making the year a very successful one.

Respectfully submitted. A. W. WRIGHT 4M.