THE CRIMSON BOOKSHELF - FICTION - POETRY

WISDOM'S DAUGHTER

By C. P. M.

Those who have even a slight acquaintance with the works of Rider Haggard know that to read any of the fifty-odd mystery romances that have flowed from his prolific pen, one must leave the commonplace life of the unemotional occident and journey through strange lands and among strange peoples. Nor may one even be sure of remaining upon this earth, for not infrequently Haggard's pen guides us to other planets--even to distant stars. Still less is one bound by the fetters of time, for Haggard's belief (whether real or assumed) in the doctrine of re-incarnation enables his romances to extend throughout centuries.

"Wisdom's Daughter", the third of what may be termed the "she" cycle, is the same story as that told by "She and "Ayesha", but this time is told by the Child of Wisdom herself. It is the story of her life--interesting, but without the flavor of reality which was the outstanding feature of the first two books. Sir Rider Haggard is not so young as he once was. He has lost much of the power of fiery action and intriguing suspense which made his earlier books deservedly so popular. Here and there we see flashes of the sparks that once flew from his pen--the destruction of Sidon, the battle at sea with the Persian trireme, the fateful kiss in the Temple of Isis--but for the most part the book, judged by the standards of Haggard's other mystery romances, is a disappointment.

Ayesha's life should never have been written. All the glamor and mystery with which She was surrounded have been explained away, and we learn to know the daughter of Yarab too well. She is just a self-willed woman crossed in love by one who, though far from perfect, was at least a faithful wife and mother.

As a mystery story to while away an idle hour, "Wisdom's Daughter" is good; as a work of Sir Rider Haggard, it is far below the level of his very real ability.