UNIVERSITY LINKSMEN AGAIN FOLLOW THROUGH

Technology Captures but Two of the Score Leading Field With a 77

In rather a slow match in which the Technology golfers failed to meet expectations the University golf team defeated the Engineers 4 to 2 at the Belmont Spring Country Club yesterday afternoon. The M. I. T. team secured its two points by winning a twosome and a foursome, the Crimson capturing the remaining matches.

Mapes played the best golf for the University, handling in a card of 77. Peirson was next with a 79 while the best Technology score was turned in by Johnson, who, while playing four on his team, completed the 18 holes with an 80 Peirson had had a good deal of difficulty in defeating Johnson one up as both were even on the last hole. On the last tee Peirson sliced his drive so that his ball was all but stymied by a large tree. By a very pretty approach shot, however, he was able to reach the green and hole out in four, one stroke less than that taken by his opponent. The Engineers, however, reversed the tables in the Ballard-Clement-Hodder-Williams foursome match and defeated the Crimson players by a one-stroke margin after being even-up at the last tee-off.

The next match for the University golf team will take place on Saturday when the Crimson linkamen oppose the Bowdoin golfers. In this match, also, but four men will play on each team.

The summary of yesterdays matches follows:

Singles--Hodder (H) defeated Ballard (T), 2 and 1; Clement (T) defeated Williams (H), 2 up; Mapes (H) defeated Crowley (T), 4 and 3; Peirson (H) defeated Johnson (T), 1 up.

Foursomes-Ballard and Clement (T) defeated Hodden and Williams (H), 1 up; Mapes and Peirson (H) defeated Crowley and Johnson (T), 3 and 2.