RHODES APPLICATIONS FOR 1925 CLOSE ON OCTOBER 6

BASED ON CHARACTER, PHYSICAL ABILITY AND SCHOLARSHIP

Applications for Rhodes Scholarships for year after next (1924-25) may be filed at President Lowell's office any time between now and October 6, 1923. After that date President Lowell will select from among the applicants an indefinite number to nominate for the scholarships, and the final selection will be made in December by the state committees.

The stipend of a Rhodes Scholarship is normally 300 pounds a year, but until further notice scholars will receive a bonus of 50 pounds in addition, making a total of 350 pounds per annum. The Rhodes trustees warn candidates that even this sum is not sufficient to meet the increase in prices, and that men will need to supplement their scholarship to the extent, on an average, of about 50 pounds a year.

To be eligible for a Rhodes Scholarship for 1924-25 a man must be an unmarried citizen of the United States with at least five years' domicile. He must have been born between October 1, 1899, and October 1, 1905; and by October 1, 1924, he must have completed at least his sophomore year at some recognized degree-granting university or college of the United States.

He must apply as a candidate, either from the state in which he ordinarily resides or from any state in which he has received at least two year of his college education before applying. In submitting his name at President Lowell's office, each applicant is asked to tell in what state he desires to be a candidate.

The setting of October 6 as the closing date for applications gives men who might like to be candidates for Rhodes Scholarships in 1924-25 all summer to consider their plans. Further information may be obtained at President Lowell's office, University 5, or from Professor R. K. Hack, Kirkland Court, Kirkland Street.