MEDFORD AND WINTHROP WIN SCHOOLBOYS' MEET

MOORE OF MEDFORD HIGH SCORER WITH 10 POINTS

Displaying an evenly balanced team and scoring in all but two events, Medford led Newton, Brookline, and Brockton and won the Class A championship in the third annual Massachusetts High School track meet, while in the Class B division Winthrop turned in an easy victory. The contests, which were featured by the large number of records broken, were held in the Stadium Saturday afternoon, under the auspices of the H. A. A.

Moore of Medford, gathering 10 points for his team in the broad jump and 100-yard dash, was the high scorer and individual star of the meet. His mark of 22 feet 2 1-2 inches in the broad jump adds a foot to the record he made last year, while his 10 2-5 seconds time in the dash ties the record which he holds jointly with his teammate Jaffrey. Moody, also of Medford, set up a new high jumping mark of 4 feet 9 9-16 inches, adding 2 5-16 inches to the record he established last year. The other Medford points, making the total 24, were gained as a result of a third in the 440-yard run, fourth place in the broad jump and shot put, and fifth in the half-mile and relay races.

Breaks 220 Dash Record

In the 220-yard dash Franklin of Brockton turned in a record breaking performance, slicing 2-5 second from the 23 2-5 seconds marks which Mills of Commerce made last year. Brookline, with a time of 1 minute 35 4-5 seconds in the 880-yard relay race, also established a new record, beating Medford's old mark by a full second. Because it was the first time the event had been run off, Bauchmann's 14 4-5 seconds in the 120-yard low hurdles will also stand as a record.

All of the winning times in the Class B division will be new records since this is the first year that there have been any separate contests for the smaller schools. Winthrop, collecting 27 points, became the first champion in this group without much difficulty, the nearest contender being Hyde Park with 13. In Class B the best individual performance was that of Beach, of Fitchburg, who heaved the 12-pound shot 43 feet 2 1-2 inches.