HOLLIS 15

Some students achieve certain courses; some have courses thrust upon them; but although many are called, few have the good fortune to be chosen for one of Professor Copeland's classes. The fame of English 12 draws so many applicants for admission to it that even competitive admission compositions fail to relieve the congestion of suitors. And as for the likewise famous English 45, the sacred precincts are even harder to enter because this course is omitted in 192-- to 192--. The result is that most undergraduates can only know Professor Copeland by his hat, coat and umbrella.

It is the man more than the content which attracts the students. Just so did the serious-minded youths in olden days gather at the feet of the sages to harked to their words, whether they talked of mathematics or philosophy or medicine. For whatever they said was worth considering. The caption, English Composition, in the Elective Pamphlet fails completely to describe English 12. What of the "evenings" which form an integral part of the course? What of the personal conferences in which the fearful author is forced to see himself in the Mirror of Truth? And what of the wit and humor of his lectures? For beside Professor Copeland's technical knowledge he has an even greater asset--a rich and unusual sense of humor. He believes after Moliere in the "cure by laughter" and he is amply justified by its success.

If everyone had not heard about the charm of his personality, his absence during the half year would be little noticed or felt. Unfortunately that charm is known only too well and however frankly one must admit that Professor Copeland deserves a vacation, one cannot help hoping that the "evenings" at Hollis 15 will soon be resumed.