PRESIDENT LOWELL WELCOMES FRESHMEN

Head of English Department Characterizes Education as Development of Intellectual Curiosity

Over 700 members of the record-breaking Freshman class crowded into the Living Room of the Union last night at the annual Faculty reception, for new members of the University. The meeting was addressed by President Lowell, Mr. George Wigglesworth '74, President of the Union, Professor J. L. Lowes G.'03, head of the Department of English, Mr. K. K. M. Leys, exchange tutor from University college, Oxford, and Mr. R. E. Bacon '18, assistant Dean for the Class of 1927. Although Dean Briggs was on the platform, professor E. C. Moore presided at the reception in his place.

A letter written in 1899 by Major H. L. Higginson Hon '82 urging the foundation of a club to help social life and hold together the students of the University" was read by Mr. Wigglesworth as the basis of his address. Characterizing this letter as the "charter of the Harvard Union", went on to tell how the Union had become the center of social life in the University, affording opportunities which it was impossible for any smaller organization to provide.

Dean Bacon Speaks

Speaking as the official representative of University Hall, Assistant Dean Bacon welcomed the Freshmen. He then described the new Freshman scholastic ruling, requiring a grade of three C's and a D for a minimum of four courses, initiated this year instead of the old standard of two C's and a D for a minimum of five courses.

Deploring the fact that the unprecedented size of this years' Freshman Class made it necessary for nearly half of the total number of 930 to live outside the Freshman Dormitories, Mr. Bacon urged these men to affiliate themselves with one of the three Freshman dormitories, both by participating in the dormitory athletics and by boarding at the Freshman Dining Halls. He expressed the hope that in this way the entire class would be incorporated into Harvard life.

Mr. Leys, the next speaker, contrasted the great, efficient machine of the University with old Oxford and paid tribute to the kindness and tolerance with which the University treats its new arrivals.

Professor Lowes characterized education as the development of intellectual curiosity whereby "centers of interest and magnetic spots of intelligence" could be established in a broad scope of subjects.

The speaking was concluded by President Lowell, who followed Professor Lowes with a speech of welcome to the new members of the University.

R. P. Bullard '24 led the class in the singing of "Fair Harvard". The reception ended with a long Harvard cheer, led by B. McK. Henry '24, captain of crew.