Eager Throngs Jam German A and Distrub Tranquility of Other Courses; Scandanavian not Affected by Upheavals

Startling upheavals took place in the enrollments for the various courses which held their first meetings yesterday.

Almost 900 men,--150 more than last year,--packed the first meeting of English A in the New Lecture Hall.

At the first meeting of History I more than 800 men filled the auditorium of the same hall and crowded into the galleries.

German A also seemed strangely to have its appeal for about 160 students.

In his preliminary remarks to the masses of History 1. Professor R. B. Merriman '96 expressed the fear that it might be impossible to conduct so large a course effectively. Not only the difficulty in lecturing to the galleries, but also crowded sections and insufficient reference books for so large a number might hamper the work of the course.

Although English A and German A are not primarily lecture courses, they also are suffering as a result of their overpopularity. New sections and crowded meetings seem inevitable in both courses.

Even more remarkable gymnastics took place among the enrollment figures of some of the smaller courses: English 72, on English poets of the nineteenth century, heretofore a course of moderate attendance, drew a throng that jammed Emerson J and necessitated an overflow meeting in the larger expanses of Emerson D.

History II on England during the Tudor and Stuart periods, was another course of normally sedate attendance which yesterday jumped the bounds of propriety and doubled its customary enrollment.

Courses in Chinese, Soandinavian, and Semitic Languages, however, are said to have had their customary number of students.