DISCUSS "THE NEXT WAR" BEFORE LARGE AUDIENCE

HUDSON APPEALS FOR SUPPORT OF LEAGUE OF NATIONS

Before an audience which crowded the New Lecture Hall to capacity last night, Dr. N. F. Hall G. '15, Professor Zechariah Chafee Jr. L. '13, and Professor M. O. Hudson L. '10, gave a symposium on "The Next War." The affair was given under the auspices of the Harvard chapter of Gamma Alpha, the national scientific society.

President Eliot presided at the symposium, and introduced the three speakers. At the conclusion of each address, he elaborated some point which had appealed to him, and his remarks were received with close attention.

Hall Touches Scientific Side

Opening the discussion with the part science will play in the next war, Dr. Hall emphasized the importance of chemistry. "The most spectacular side of chemical warfare is the use of gas and smoke", he said. "The airplane and the tank will be the chief agents of destruction in the next war, and the struggle will be for supremacy in these two fields."

Speaking on the importance of propaganda in the waging of a war. Professor Chafee deplored the censorship which destroyed to such a degree the freedom of speech of individuals during the Great War. "The real value of freedom of speech is not to the minority that wants to talk, but to the majority that wants to listen", he said. "Therefore, those of us who value the preservation of an intelligent public opinion must bend every effort to the end that there shall be no next war."

Hudson Pleas For League of Nations

Professor Hudson, who took as his subject "The Stacking of the Cards", admitted that the next war was by no means inevitable, and declared that the League of Nations was the surest means of prevention. His intimate experience as a member of the Secretariat of the League has given him an unusual insight to the influence it works in Europe which are likely to contribute to another war.

Professor Hudson concluded by an appeal for America's support for the League. "Those of us who live in America have our responsibility too. Shall we live up to it or shall we help to bring on the next war?"