HE WHO LAUGHS LAST

The one bond of union among lecturers and other keen analysts of the world situation, is that the world is in a bas way. But of remedies there are as many as there are lectures. Excessive reading of books, high and dry prohibition, dancing, have all been set forth as the one sure method of saving the world from itself. The latest is by Mr. Glenn Frank, who thinks a sense of humor will do the trick.

Mr. Frank, like every other Gentleman with a Purpose, mut be humored in his vagaries, but above all, he must not be laughed at. Every man is entitled to his opinion, however ridiculous. But as to a sense of humor giving poise to an individual, there Mr. Frank is wrong. Everyone knows that poise can come only from an exclusive finishing school, or from lots of blue blood. The simple day-laborer, laughing heartily when his fellow-workman falls into the mortar box, is possessed of no poise at all.

Just what kind of a sense of humor is Mr. Frank advocating? Will that which he is advertising laugh heartily at a burlesque show, or will it curl up in agonies of mirth over one of those long articles in "Pauch"? The man who laughs at the misfortunes of others does not see much humor in his own mishaps, and a man who laughs at puns, and so-called "happy conceits" unfortunately laughs neither at his own nor other people's mishaps. If it is the truly desirable sense of humor, which Mr. Frank is advocating, it is one which will enable a weary world to laugh at the innumerable panaceas of reformers for saving it; and thus to be consistent he must laugh off his own proposal.