BY THE HORNS AT LAST

Finally the conflict between science and religion has been settled. Dr. George W. Carver, the head of the Tuskegee Institute scientific department, has brought about the reconciliation. His method is simplicity itself.

When he wishes to make new chemical researches, no labor or thought is required of him. All is done by divine inspiration. "I never have to grope for methods: the method is revealed at the moment I am inspired to create something new," says he. The conclusion is plain. Only those discoveries will be made which are in accord with the doctrines of the church, and if any discoveries do not agree with church tenets, it is a plain mandate to change the beliefs of the church to accord with the new revelations. If Darwin had only employed such methods, the theory of evolution would doubtless be taught now in all Sunday schools.

But even if the inspiration is divine, the result hardly justifies such a high origin. So far the revelations from above have merely led him to discover hundreds of commercial compounds made from the lowly potato, the peanut, and the clay of the South. The prayer of the South to have the monotony of corn pone and "side of hawg" replaced by more palatable dishes is being answered through the black magic of Dr. Carver; and if that is not divine it is at least commendable.