THE ANTIQUARIAN'S PARADISE

The series of book exhibits which begins in Widener Library today affords an opportunity for those few souls who are genuinely interested in rare volumes and ancient editions. If the books were to be eased in glass and had to be viewed from a respectful distance they would excite no more curiosity than the far famed glass flowers that is, among the undergraduates. People do come from Carson City and Topeka and all sorts of places for a glimpse of these renowned bits of vegetation, but what student has ever seen them unless, perhaps, he lost his way in the Museum and came upon them unawares" As a matter of fact, once one has gazed upon their perfection, there is little to be said. One is not inspired to go and do likewise, or even to take up the science of botany.

It does give one a distinct thrill, however, to handle a book constructed in 1391 if one has any sentimental feelings at all about books. Perhaps Plato is too impersonal to arouse such a feeling; but certainly the stories which one has read become a most intimate part of one's nature. People enjoy stories chiefly because they can make themselves the heroes; one's imagination permits one to undergo every hardship, every triumph. The result is that no one can read 'The Toilers of the Sea" without reflecting some of the grandeur of soul of the hero, nor "Man and Superman" without acquiring some of the leading man's delightful emotional immunity.

None of which, of course, has anything to do with the exhibits in Widener. It would be somewhat difficult to imagine one's self as Plato's "Republic", although not altogether imposible to acquire the philosophic poise of Plato himself. But for those rare spirits who revel in investigating anything old and original, today's collection will furnish a wild, almost immorally hilarious orgy.