TEN YEARS LATER

With Dr. Roger I. Lee's resignation, the University loses the man who has been responsible for most of the reorganization and improvement of physical education at Harvard during the last ten years. As an administrator, Dr. Lee has had great success, notably in coordinating all of the various medical services which formerly existed at the University into one medical department. Where the gymnasium, the University squads, and the sick undergraduates were, previous to his appointment, run independently, with little efficiency or cooperation, Dr. Lee has built up a unified, smooth-running organization which cares for all of these divisions satisfactorily.

Another achievement in which Dr. Lee has had his hand is the system of Freshman athletics which has proved so beneficial. His unusual intimacy with the details of college life, coupled with broad vision, has made his services on the Committee on Athletics especially valuable, as well as constituting him a most helpful adviser for the students themselves. For these reasons, his statement that he feels his job is one for a young man is much too modest. It may be possible to find a young man to teach Freshman Hygiene, but there is an extraordinary dearth of young men with executive ability, human understanding and far-sightedness, combined with the requisite technical knowledge.

Practically everyone knows Dr. Lee as the professor of the first-year hygienic course and probably very few realize how very great his contributions to the welfare of the University have been. But those who know how to evaluate his services know how difficult it will be to replace him. Dr. Lee's resignation means, as Dean Briggs says,--who, incidentally is about the only man who knows more about student affairs than Dr. Lee,--"a tremendous loss to the University."