"Telltale", Oldest College Publication and Harvard's "Spectator" in 1721, Goes on Exhibition at Widener Today

The earliest known copy of a college periodical, the "Telltale", a Harvard publication of 1721, will go on exhibition in the Treasure Room of Widener Library this morning.

The paper is in manuscript form contained in a little leather-covered blank-book, measuring six by three and three-quarters inches. The pages are filled with the close and somewhat difficult handwriting of the author, Ebenezer Turrell of the class of 1721. On one fly-leaf is the inscription "E. Turelli Liber" and on another the name of Andrew E. Thayer.

The first 27 leaves of the volume are devoted to 13 successive numbers dating from September 9 to November 1, 1721. At just what intervals the paper came out cannot be determined, but from the preface one is led to believe it was meant to be a weekly periodical at first, but was gradually issued at the editor's volition.

The "Telltale" is modelled after Addison's Spectator. Its object is explained in the first paper: "This paper is Entitled the Telltale or Criticisms of the Conversation & Behaviour of Scholars to promote right reasoning & good manner." Telltale is unknown. "I am so envelop'd with clouds & vizards that the most piercing eye cannot distinguish me from Stoughton's Hall." Unfortunately he does not follow his stated purpose of criticism entirely but describes in a number of pages curious dreams in which he meets a number of characters disputing of various subjects, and tells at great length of an meeting of one of the local college clubs, the Spy Club so called.

The volume also contains "An account of a Society in Har: Colledge" with references to many important graduates and students of that period.

The volume, when being written as a periodical, was probably passed about among the students of the college, its growing popularity necessitating more frequent papers. Finally, when the enthusiasm decressed, if was used as a note book or diary.