A BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY

It is particularly fortunate that the Committee on Choice of Vocations has been able to arrange for a lecture on business by Mr. Gerard Swope. The General Electric Company of which Mr. Swope is president has perhaps more than any other great corporation interested itself in the problem of fitting college graduates for positions in the business and engineering world, as witnessed by its maintianance of elaborate training courses. The results of these endeavors should offer a reliable index to the problems facing the present graduating class. And Mr. Swope himself has had a range of business training and experience which will make his judgment of the opportunities in business as a career peculiarly illuminating.

Except for the men who plan to enter the professions the term "business" covers practically the whole range of vocations pursued by college graduates. But its very generality makes it vague; and the undergraduate who attempts to plan his college studies with a view to a future life in business finds a standard of necessary preparation difficult to define. Mr. Swope's lecture, therefore, will undoubtedly prove of very definite service to those who are frankly puzzled by the problem of linking a general education to the specific requirements of a business career.

Of very immediate and practical interest to members of the graduating class is the privilege of conferences with Mr. F. H. Curtiss and Mr. A. M. White. The first beginnings in business will assuredly be less a leap in the dark when explained with that kindness and consideration which has prompted these Harvard men to "teach the ropes" to their possible successors.