MUSIC

A Program of Early Music in Surroundings Which Reproduced a Concert of the Times of Mozart

By A. G.

The Eighteenth Century Symphony Orchestra gave its last concert of the season in Jordan Hall last Tuesday evening, playing music of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in costume of the period of Louis Quinze. This music makes a wide appeal both to the sophisticated taste that finds in it the charm of simplicity and naive freshness and to the uninitiate who seek only for beauty of melody in what they hear.

The program included arise of Gluck and Scarlatti and two Bergerettes sung by Miss Myrtle Brown, the Finale of Haydn's Farewell, Symphony, a Suite of Haendel, and a Largo of Corelli by the orchestra alone, a Grave by Humphries and a Canto Amoroso for violin played by Mario Montini accompanied by the orchestra, a Courant by Couperin for flute, cello, and harpsichord, La Gallina by Merula for oboe, bassoon and harpsichord and Concertos by Dall' Abaco and Bach for harpsichord, organ and orchestra.

Mr. Martino revealed himself as a scholar and a conductor who adheres faithfully to the spirit of his music, carefully modulating his tone and handling it with the delicacy of shading that this early music demands.

The other soloists all performed their parts capably and pleasingly, choosing to incorporate themselves with the general effect of the concert as assisting artists", rather than taking the part of virtuosi, this increasing materially the general effect of the whole. The concert was the most pleasing we have attended for many months and we shall look forward with pleasure to the Orchestra's concerts next autumn.