INTELLIGENCE VS. CHARACTER

One of the most interesting statements made by Professor Morize of the French Department in his speech last Saturday at Atlantic City was that in which he pointed out the emphasis placed on character development in American education, as compared with that which the training of intelligence receives abroad. The high pay of athletic coaches, upon which Professor Morize commented unfavorably, is probably another manifestation of the same ideal through participation in sport.

The comparison which Professor Morize draws between American and French education, for his remarks do not seem entirely applicable to England--indicates a keen insight and suggests an unusual analytical explanation of present day conditions both in this country and abroad. The French have often been termed the most intelligent people in the world, and the Americans have been similarly flattered by being called the most idealistic. It is quite probable that both generalities are capable of only occasional application, but the fact that they have gained a certain amount of popular credence is in itself significant. Intelligence has never been as whole-heartedly admired in the United States as those qualities which are generally believed to make up the sterling character of the Mayflower descendant. Its synonymity in the mind of the average citizen with "cleverness" is sufficiently illuminating. The French, on the other hand, enjoy an international reputation as seekers after the absolute in mental capability at all possible costs.

If this widely accepted hypothesis is correct, it can cause no surprise that the development of character in America is placed before the training of intelligence, and that the converse is true in France. For a representative of either civilization to attempt to do anything more than call attention to the existence of a difference in thought and issue an appeal for tolerance and understanding on both sides seems futile. But while the adjectives "stupid" and "unmoral" will doubtless still be hurled by extreme supporters of each ideal, their numbers will not be large enough to make mutual appreciation impossible.