UNIVERSITY PRINTERS TURN OUT PRIZE BOOK

PRESS MAKES ADDITION TO LIST OF SPRING PUBLICATIONS

The University Press entered five books in a recent exhibition held by the Ameri- Institute of Graphic Arts in New York City for trade editions. One of these, "Dr. Johnson", a study in eighteenth century humanism by Percy H. Houston G'06, Assistant Professor of English at the University of California, was awarded a medal for excellence in the general quality of the edition. A similar exhibition has been held for several years as part of the society's endeavor to cultivate printing by bringing together and comparing all the trade edition books of the year that claim distinction. Books which were printed in limited editions, however, were not included in the exhibit.

"The Siege of Boston"

Two books of importance have been printed by the University Press very recently. On April 14, "The Siege of Boston," comprising the diary of Lieutenant John Barker during the siege of Boston from November 1774 to May 1776, was published. The book is bound in black cloth with scarlet paper sides, illustrated with twelve reproductions from very rare originals in private and semi-public collections, and enclosed in a slide-case. The edition is definitely limited to 500 copies. So great has been the local demand that less than 200 copies are now available.

English Critique of Scribe

The second book, "Eugene Scribe and and the French Theatre," by Neil C Arvin G'17, Professor of French at the University of California, will be released for sale within a very few days. This is the first English critique of a writer who held the lead among French playwrights from 1815 to 1860, during which time over 400 plays issued from his pen. Practically every innovation, every reform, every novelty found in the French drama of the century originated with Scribe. For readers of today, his chief importance lies in the fact he was a social sympton, and that he painted in vivid tones the life of the French bourgeoisie of his time. Professor Arvin has had the good fortune to obtain access to the voluminous document now in the possession of Scribe's daughter-in-law, so that his book will doubtless remain for many years to come the definite biography and critique of Scribe.