1928 PACKS SMITH COMMON ROOM

Avoid Procrastination and Get Religious Education" Advice of Dr. Perry

President Lowell, Dean Greenough, and Dr. Lewis Perry, principal of Phillip Exeter Academy, welcomed several hundred Freshmen and new students who packed the Smith Halls Common Room last night in the first of the series of informal meetings, inaugurated this fall. Over 800 men attended. Following the speeches opportunity was given to meet the speakers, the assistant deans, several prominent professors, and most of the proctors of the Freshman Halls.

General advice to the new men was the theme of the speeches. Dr. Perry emphasized the evil of procrastination, the importance of the intellectual side of college life, and the importance of getting a religious education. "The first thing you must get if you're going to get anything out of college is the intellectual reaction you receive from hard work," Dr. Perry said. "The most essential thing for you is to start in at once and not put off until the critical time has passed. You all think that from now until mid-years you will do well. but you will find that the job is put off and that you will easily drop behind. You must drive in at the start, not wade in gradually.

"I also hope you will not forget the chances for religious education," he continued. There is no true education where religion is left out: You will not be forced to go to chapel or church here but you will be given the opportunity to near very great men. Religious education, however, may be obtained not only in church but in every branch of the college education.