CHANCE OF PROMOTION SPURS SECOND TEAM

Captain Greenough's Men Hold First Dummy Practise of Season Outside the Walls of the Stadium

The wisdom of Coach Fisher's scheme in cutting 84 men from the University football squad the second day of practice is now making itself apparent. The incentive of promotion has been substituted for the dread of getting cut, and the 95 players who now make up the second squad know that there is an opportunity for advancement such as there never was before under the old system.

Proof that this scheme is actually being carried out lies in the fact that the University squad of last Tuesday numbering 38 has already been augmented to 41 by the promotion D. R. Harrison '27, W. P. Locke '27, and R. W. Puffer '26.

Promotions Surprise

The promotion of Harrison and Locke came as a surprise because of the fact that neither of them made brilliant records as Freshmen. On account of an operation Locke was unable to play at all last year, while his classmate, Harrison, played with the Dormitory elevens until near the end of the season when he was promoted to the freshman squad.

Puffer, a Sophomore last year, won his insignia as halfback on the second, team. With a weight of about 170 pounds, a fair amount of speed, and a considerable knack at drop kicking, he has developed into a versatile back.

Hold first Dummy Practice

At five minutes of four, yesterday Captain Greenough's men left the guarded gates of the stadium for brief tackling practice on the dummies. It was the first time the dummies had been used this year. Each man had seven turns at them. Subsequently the University players returned to their secret signal and dummy practice. There was a squad of punters at work consisting of Gehrke, Hammond, Miller, Maher, and Cheek.