BEGIN PHYSICAL TRAINING PROGRAM FOR FRESHMEN

MUST ALSO ELECT SOME ONE OF FALL SPORTS

Some form of regular exercise for every one of the 900 and more members of the new freshman class is to be the program of the department of physical education as it will be explained at a meeting of the first year men at 2 o'clock this afternoon in the New Lecture Hall.

In addition to the weekly physical exercise periods each Freshman must attend the weekly Hygiene lecture of the department for the next four weeks.

Only Dropped Freshmen Exempt

At 2 o'clock all Freshmen, except those dropped Freshmen who met the Hygiene requirements last year will meet in the New Lecture Hall for the opening of the prescribed courses in Hygiene and physical instruction.

This year an innovation has been adopted. All members of the course will meet in a single group every Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall instead of in Wednesday and Thursday sections as in other years. This arrangement is made possible through the cooperation of the English Department which has agreed to postpone the English A lectures for Freshmen until the Hygiene course has been completed in the middle of October.

Director Geer To Explain

Mr. W. H. Geer, Director of Physical Education, will today explain the purpose of the course in Hygiene and will also detail the prescribed requirements in physical exercise.

At this meeting all Freshmen will be required to elect some form of exercise either from the group known as intercollegiate sports, which includes fall football, crew, soccer, cross country, track and lacrosse, or from the intra-collegiate group which includes handball, singles, swimming for beginners, tennis, and equitation for those taking Military Science.

Organized Sports are Preferable

The Department of Physical Education declared that it hoped that a fair percentage of Freshmen would go out for one of the regular organized squads, such as football or crew.

Coach T. J. Campbell will be in general charge of football with E. D. Hamilton '23 and Albert Hinkley '22 assisting him, as dormitory coaches.

Candidates for the track team will be under the supervision of E. J. Farrell, the University Coach who will have D. F. O'Connell Jr. '21 and Jakko Mikkola as his assistants in charge of cross-country and field events.

Those men who are selected to make up the fall Freshman crews will be coached by Bert Haines, while the dormitory crews will be under M. W. Ware '02. Coach Ed Wachter will be in charge of singles.