WHITING AT UNION STRESSES PERSONALITY IN POLITICS

Collier Denies Grow Twins Are Members of His Own Family

"The more I see of politics, the more I realize that personalities are twice as important as policies" declared E. E. Whiting, author of "Whiting's Column" in the Boston Herald, who spoke last night at the Union on "Leaders in Politics".

"Unfortunately great personalities in politics are extremely rare" he continued. "Most people seem to have the idea that Congress is or should be made up of super-men; all high above the average in honesty, intelligence, and ability. If that were so, they would not truly be 'the House of Representatives' of a nation which is made up of common, ordinary people like ourselves, sitting here in the Union, or in a country store, or in a business office. So it is strange that people, who unconcernedly watch an ordinary man go wrong, are so unduly surprised and indignant when a man in public life is found wanting."

College Aids Personality

When asked about the value of a college education in politics, Mr. Whiting was loud in its praises. "Outside of the mere bookish information which you acquire, college gives one a broader outlook on life and one's fellow men, and that after all is one of the greatest qualities a politician can have. In fact, all but seven presidents of the United States have been college graduates."

Collier Says He is Not Otto Grow

Mr. Whiting's speech followed a talk by E. P. Collier on "Getting Out a Daily Cartoon", in which he outlined the history of the Otto Grow family and drew several cartoons of prominent politicians in New England. Mr. Collier denied the assertion that "a character in the cartoon acts and speaks exactly as the cartoonist acts and speaks. I have had a lot of trouble about that", he added. "When my cartoon announcing the birth of twins in the Grow family came out, I was immediately beset with questions as to how Mrs. Collier and the twins were getting along.

Several spectators volunteered to be the objects of Mr. Collier's caricaturing, much to the amusement of the audience, which stamped and cheered as in a few, deft strokes Mr. Collier exaggerated the facial characteristics of the helpless and grinning victims.

After the speeches were over, there was a wild stampede to the platform, where scores of students fought eagerly over the tattered remains of Mr. Collier's cartoons.