GREENOUGH SAILS FOR ENGLAND SATURDAY

Will Be Acting Dean Until September When Dean Greenough Returns--Dean's Record at Harvard Is Unusual

Dean C. N. Greenough '98 will leave Cambridge tomorrow on a leave of absence for the second half-year. He plans to sail from New York Saturday on the "Ausonia" for England, where he will remain until about September 1.

Dean Greenough's plans are still in a formative stage. He will go first to the south of England for a rest. Later on he will visit Oxford and Cambridge for the purpose of studying English educational methods, and he may spend a short time at one or two smaller universities. He also intends to do some research work in the British Museum and other libraries. Since this is his first visit to Europe in 14 years, he is looking forward to the opportunity for access to manuscripts and other original sources important in several of his fields of study.

Professor Chase Will Substitute

During Dean Greenough's absence from University Hall. Professor G. B. Chase '96, of the Archacological Department, will serve as Acting Dean of Harvard College. Professor Chase is at present a member of the Administrative Board and is familiar with the duties of the Dean's Office. Dean Greenough will return to Cambridge before the opening of college in September and take up again his duties in both the Dean's Office and the English Department.

Dean Greenough has been connected with the University ever since his graduation in 1898 except for three years, from 1907 to 1910, which he spent as professor of English at the University of Illinois. He was made Acting Dean of Harvard College in 1919, and a year later was appointed Dean, the position which he now holds.

In the five years that he has been in office. Dean Greenough has already firm- ly established a reputation as one of the really great deans in the history of the University. His greatest achievement is probably the humanisting of relations between the governing powers of the University and the student body. His "open door" policy has not only permitted but encouraged students to consult him and the assistant deans freely upon any subject.

In following this policy he has accorded to the Student Council a greater voice in student affairs than that body ever possessed before. Dean Greenough consults with the Student Council once a month, and welcomes any criticisms and suggestions in regard to University policy. The ruling of the Administrative Board last fall which allows upper classmen to go on and off probation for scholastic deficiencies only at midyears and after final examinations was, for example, worked out by Dean Greenough in collaboration with the Student Council.

Reorganizes Administrative Methods

Another of Dean Greenough's accomplishments is the removal of red tape from the administration of affairs in University Hall. He has swept away the cumbersome old official machinery, and has modernized and humanized administrative methods. A fundamental feature of this policy has been the installation of young assistant deans over each class, men who are in close touch with students and student life.

He has also recognized the fact that one of the greatest problems of the University was successfully to bridge the gap between preparatory school and college. He has therefore paid particular attention to the problems incidental to this transition. In the first place, he has sought the cooperation of schools a preparing their pupils for the change from school to college. He has also made the system of student advisers function efficiently for the first time, and he has inaugurated the system of writing to the parents of prospective Freshmen for personal information which will be of aid in the choice of advisers. He is also trying to raise the standard of the young assistants in Freshman courses, in the hope of bettering Freshman scholarship.

Dean Greenough believes very strongly in the popularization of scholarship and has devoted a great deal of attention to this problem. He feels that there is no reason why high scholastic honors should not be of equal importance to high athletic honors, and has attempted to impress this fact on the student body. That his efforts in this direction have already yielded important results is borne out by the fact that almost half of the officers of the graduating class last year, many of whom were prominent athletes, received high honors