ELI BULLDOG GRAPPLES WITH BEAR, TIGER ANTICIPATES CLOSE SHAVE FROM COLGATE

Great Offensive Teams to Oppose Each Other Today in Dedicatory Game at Brown Stadium--Tryon Is Chief Threat of Undefeated Colgate Which Faces Tiger

With the Yale Bulldog grappling with the Brown Bear in the official dedication of the Brown Stadium, and with Slagle and Tryon, two great halfbacks, leading Princeton and Colgate respectively to the attack in New Jersey, today stands as an important date in the Big Three schedule.

Yale will attempt to chalk up its twenty 2'th victory at the expense of the Bruins this afternoon. The teams have met 29 times, Brown winning three games, while two resulted in ties. The Elis have won all the games since the war.

Bruin Out To Win

Today, however, is a different matter. Yale is no longer the terrifying, unbeatable machine that it has been for the last two years. Brown with its brilliant backs has high hopes for victory.

Both teams have lost one game this season, and the University of Pennsylvania eleven has administered both of the defeats. Pennsylvania's great team beat Brown, 9 to 0, a fortnight ago, and a week later trounced Yale, 16 to 13, in a hair-raising contest.

Comparison of the work of today's rivals against the Quakers seems to give Yale the edge. Brown's far-famed running attack failed to put the ball-across the Pennsylvania goal line, although the Providence players had four chances to score. Yale, however, completely out-played for two and a half periods, rose in its might and tore through Penn, for two touchdowns. Only fumbles prevented it from getting a third.

Nevertheless, there seems to be little to chose between the offensive power of the two backfields. They are very different in type but each is strong.

Bear Backfield Light but Fast

Brown's backfield possesses in brilliance what it lacks in weight. Of the men starting today, Mishel, quarterback, and Keefer are the only light backs, but practically all the substitute material is under the average poundage.

Keefer last season was one of the most colorful backs in the East; playing without a headguard, his speed and clusiveness reminded many of Brown's greatest back, Follard. Mishel is another speedster, and is also a capable dropkicker. Of the other starting backs, Payer is experienced, heavy, and fast, while Jones, who has won the fullback berth has plenty of weight and played well in the last period of the Penn game.

Edes, the "130-pound pepper package," Dixon, another lightning runner who starred last season, and Lawrence,' husky sophomore fullback, are the chief Brown reserves.

Joss Starts For First Time

Brown's hopes received a blow yesterday, when it was announced that Smith, 214-pound tackle, would not be in condition to start against the Elis.. Although Hodge, a strong tackle, will be stationed at center in place of the injured Stephens, Brown will need Smith and will probably use him if it is humanly possible.

Captain Joss of Yale is starting today for the first time this season; Butterworth, who has been acting captain, is out with an injury. Coach Jones has shifted the Yale line considerably since last Saturday. Today Joss and Benton will be at tackle in place of Butterworth and Richards, with the latter taking over Root's guard position. Webster, also former tackle, is at the other guard vice Wortham, and Burt replaces Sturhahn at center.

Last year Yale defeated Brown 13 to 3, after tralling to within three minutes of the end of the game. Cottle, who is enable to play today, raced 50 yards for the Elis' winning touchdown.

Bear Tries to Dispel Hoodoo

Today, Brown will have to break a jinx long-standing in college football, that of losing when dedicating a home stadium. Dartmouth is the best-known dedicator of other college's stadiums, but Yale has high hopes of dedicating Brown's horseshoe in a manner that will disapprove the Providence cohorts. Twenty-seven thousand people are expected to see the game

Much cheered by their good showing against the strong Navy team Coach Roper's Princeton players are confident of stopping the Colgate invasion of Tigertown.

The Princeton coach has been loath to apLounce a first team lineup, intending to keep all the players fighting for positions. It is doubtful if Slagle, the great Tiger back, will start the game this afternoon, but he will undoubtedly see plenty of action.

Last week Stagle was matched with Shapley, brilliant Annapolis carrier, and a tie game resulted. This afternoon Colgate's great all-American fullback. Tryon, will oppose the Tigers and try to gain more ground through the Orange and Black forwards than can Stagle through the Colgate barrier. Tryon can kick with the best and both he and Slagle are brilliant forward passers