LABOR SYMPOSIUM WILL BE CONTINUED BY SMITH

HENDERSON THINKS BRITISH WILL PULL THROUGH PRESENT CRISIS

Continuing the Liberal Club's British Labor Symposium, begun yesterday with a speech by Mr. Arthur Henderson, Mr. Rennie Smith will be the guest of honor at a luncheon today, and will afterwards speak on "The Present Industrial Situation in England."

Mr. Smith is another follower of the MacDonald government, and last year was one of the youngest members of Parliament:

Specialized in Economics

At the age of 11 Mr. Smith worked at manual labor in addition to his studies, which were conducted at the Workers' Educational Academy. Always an ardent student, though somewhat handicapped by his afternoon work in the Lancaster mills, Mr. Smith applied himself to economics, and later taught several courses in that subject at the Academy.

Since then appointments to offices in the field of education have been heaped upon him, in spite of his extreme youth. Among other honors he has been made Joint Principal of the International Peoples College of Denmark, and Director of Studies in the School of International Trade.

Henderson Expresses Optimism

Arthur Henderson, formerly a member of Lloyd George's War Cabinet and Home Secretary in MacDonald's Labor government, expressed complete optimism for England's future in his speech yesterday. Unlike Professor W. C. Abbott, professor of history in the University, who recently expressed to the CRIMSON an opinion that "the power of the communists in England is alarming," Mr. Henderson thinks that "Britain will pull through."

Labor Party Not Communist

The fact that Mr. Henderson was refused permission to speak in Hartford is evidence of a misunderstanding there of the principles of the Labor Party. "The Labor Party stands for the socialization of all great public services, starting with railways and mines", explained Mr. Henderson. "It is not sponsoring a movement of red revolution, nor of Russian communism."

"The movement of democratization of the industries has a big research department and publicity department", he continued. "In 20 years, public opinion may well be ready to accept Labor principles."