CLASS FOOTBALL, EXTENDING SCOPE OF INTRA-MURAL AT HLETICS, BEGINS TODAY

Class Teams Give Everybody Chance to Play Football Regularly and Should Stimulate Interest in Sport

Class football, to be played this fall for the first time since before the war, and extending the scope of intra-mural athletics, will begin today at Soldiers' Field. In preparation for an interclass series to be started at the end of the month, all upper-classmen wishing to play class football will report to Coach J. L. Knox '98 at 3 o'clock this afternoon. The nucleus for the three upper-class teams will be drawn from Coach Knox's second University squad.

According to the coaches, class football has been revived for two reasons. The first is to give an opportunity to all football players for plenty of active participation in the gridiron game. At present the second University squad is too large and unwieldy, and only about half of the men are needed for the scrimmages with the first eleven. In the past, when a cut was made in the second squad, the men who were not retained had no chance to play football on Soldiers Field under proper supervision. This year, however, the second squad will be merely divided, some of the men being held to work with the University eleven, and the rest being split up into class teams.

Should Stimulate Interest

The other aim of the renewal of class football is to stimulate class spirit and more interest in the University contests. It is hoped that by stirring up excitement over the progress of the class teams, more active support will be given the University eleven than was the case in most of the games last year.

The division of the second squad will be made today, and this afternoon Coach Knox will appoint three temporary captains, to take charge of their class teams until coaches are appointed later in the week. About 40 men will be kept on the second squad, and approximately a like number of black-jerseyed players will join the class teams. To insure full teams for each class, a call has been issued for more candidates.

Freshmen Represented

The Class of 1929 will be represented in the interclass series as well as the three upper classes. The Freshman squad has already been divided, and this week dormitory teams will be formed under the supervision of Coach Hamilton. The interdormitory series will begin on October 14 and last a week. At the end of the series, an all-dormitory team will be picked from the Gore, Standish, and Smith elevens. This all-dormitory outfit will represent the Freshman class.

Begins in October

The interclass series will begin toward the end of October, and will continue through the first week of November. It is planned at present to have each team play three games, making a series comprised of six contests in all.

If class football succeeds this year as it did two decades ago, it will be continued another season. In former years the interclass series was held after the end of the university eleven's season, when the ground was too hard and the air too cold for enjoyable football. This year it is planned to have the series over and the class championship settled before the Brown game on November 14.