MERRIMAN APPOINTED TO PARIS UNIVERSITY

Language and Literature Professor From Paris Will Preach at University After Midyears

Professor Roger B. Merriman '96 will leave the United States in early February to take up his duties as exchange professor at the University of Paris. The Inspector General of Public Instruction in Paris has notified the University that the appointment of Professor Merriman has been approved.

Professor Alfred Jeanroy, Professor of Romance Languages and Literature at the University of Paris, has been appointed exchange professor at Harvard University. Professors Merriman and Jeanroy will act as exchange professors during the second half year.

Has Taught in France Before

Professor Merriman, who has been teaching history at the University since 1902, is not a novice at teaching Frenchmen. In 1914 and 1915 he was the Harvard lecturer at the provincial universities of France. He was again absent from the University during the war, when he served as Captain in the United States Army.

While Professor Merriman is well acquainted with France, he is perhaps more at home in England and Spain. He attended Balliol College, Oxford, for two years, and three years ago received a degree of D. Litt, from Oxford. He is an authority on Spanish history, having written in 1918 "The Rise of the Spanish Empre."

History 16 and 31 Omitted

Professor Merriman has not been informed as yet as to the courses he will be expected to give at Paris, but expects to be called upon to teach English and Spanish history. His departure from the University means that History 16 and History 31, dealing with the rise of Spain, and Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries, respectively, will be omitted this year. Each is a half course usually given the second half-year.

Professor Merriman, who was appointed a professor in the University in 1918, was formerly a member of the Athletic Committee. He has long been recognized as an active supporter of the administration, and especially of the tutorial system.

The few lectures in History 1 which last year were given by Professor Merriman after mid-years will be given this year by Professor R. H. Lord A.M. '06. Professor Merriman is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a member of both the Massachusetts Historical Society and the Royal Historical Society, and a corresponding member of the Real Academia de la Historia of Madrid.