JOHN ROACH STRATON TO SPEAK AT P. B. H.

WANTED DEBATE WITH PROFESSOR MATHER ON SCOPES TRIAL

That Fundamentalism will again be championed at the University was assured last night with the announcement that the Reverend John Roach Straton, pastor of the Calvary Baptist Church of New York City, and nationally prominent as a staunch opponent of the theory of evolution, has definitely accepted the invitation of the Phillips Brooks House Association to lecture here on Thursday, October 15.

As the subject of his talk this year, Dr. Straton has chosen "The Battle over the Bible", which promises to raise as great a storm of controversy as did his disclosure of "The Fakes and Fancies of the Evolutionists," delivered here last winter.

Interested in Scopes Case

Dr. Straton, whose fearless attack on vice conditions in New York City, and vigorous denunciations of professional pugilism and modern dancing have gained him nation wide attention, is primarily interested at the present time in the battle between Fundamentalism and Modernism. The Scopes trial of last summer has occupied the greater part of his attention during recent months.

In a letter to H. H. MacCubbin '26, chairman of the Lecture Committee, Dr. Straton expressed a desire that a debate be arranged with Professor K. F. Mather, who testified for the defense at Dayton last summer.

"The testimony which Professor Mather gave at Dayton in the Scopes trial, I believe, is very vulnerable. If this can not be arranged it would be most interesting and valuable to let me bring a message followed by questions and a review by Professor Mather."

Unfortunately the debate could not be arranged, but Dr. Straton will carry out his first plans and will lecture in Peabody Hall at the Phillips Brooks House.