NEW HALL BEGINS TO GROW IN YARD

To Be Built Between Massachusetts and Lehman Halls--Expected to Be Ready by Next September

Work on the most recent addition to the architecture of the Yard, the Straus Memorial Dormitory, was begun a week ago today, and already it is reported to be progressing rapidly. The fourth new building of recent years to be erected in the Yard, Straus Hall is expected to relieve much of the congestion in the rooming situation of the Yard.

The new dormitory will be built a few feet back from the Yard fence, between Massachusetts Hall and the new Lehman Building, and parallel to Matthews, to form with these three buildings an enclosed quadrangle 90 feet by 200.

This quadrangle, following the University's policy of cloistering the Yard, will be similar to those formed on either side of Holden Chapel by the two small dormitories, Lionel and Mower, which were just completed this fall.

In Memory of Titanic Victims

Straus Hall is a gift from Jesse Isidor Straus '93, Percy Selden Straus '97, and Herbert Nathan Straus '03, of New York, announced last spring in memory of their father and mother, who lost their lives in the sinking of the Titanic.

The building is to be four stories in height, the same as Massachusetts Hall. Fifty-eight students will be accommodated, in suites consisting of two bedrooms, a study, and private bath, except in two cases where the suites will be for single students. The plan of the suites and the interior finish will resemble that in Lionel and Mower Halls, while the exterior will resemble Hollis. The new dormitory will, however, be more than twice as long and considerably narrower, the dimensions being 30 feet by 175.

To Be Ready Next Fall

The dormitory was designed by Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch, and Abbott, architects, and is being built by the Whiden-Beekman Company. It is expected that it will be completed by the middle of August, 1926, and be ready for occupancy next fall.