SILENT POLICEMAN TO GO UP AT LAMPOON CORNER

SAYS CORNER NOT SO BAD, BUT DRIVERS ARE CARELESS

Traffic accidents at the corner of Mt. Auburn and Plympton Streets are to have an immediate remedy, it was revealed in a statement made to the CRIMSON last night by Edward W. Quinn, Mayor of Cambridge.

"That is a very bad corner," Mayor Quinn admitted, "and no doubt something should be done about it. I have already ordered a silent policeman no be placed there, and believe there will be no delay."

Much comment has been raised recently by the tremendous number of collisions which have taken place at this corner behind the Lampoon Building, and the Cambridge Traffic Department has been generally blamed for taking no notice of the matter.

Quinn Makes Statement

"As a matter of fact," said the Mayor, "the corner is no worse that that at DeWolfe Street, and accidents there are very rare. I am inclined to think it is the fault of the motorists, who see a good stretch of road ahead on Mt. Auburn Street, and start speeding up. It might almost be better for them if there were some big holes in the road." When asked if there had been any thought of providing the road with protective bumps, Mayor Quinn replied in the negative.

Interest in the danger of this corner has been expressed by many undergraduates, in the form of a flood of communications to the CRIMSON Office. One student wrote: "I have been the witness of six or seven accidents there, and have seen the results of many others. I have come to the conclusion that either the traffic department is criminally negligent, or that the danger of this corner has been overlooked in the zeal of the force in playing little jokes on the student body in the way of an eight dollar towing bill for leaving a Ford or so harmlessly on the street at night. . .

"I suppose if something were done, it would deprive the student body of a great diversion. . ."

Whether the student body will be deprived of this "diversion" will depend on the effectiveness of the long-advocated flashing beacon.