THE FRONTIER COLLEGE

Canadian educators have handled a unlaue rollem effectively. In order to give the quarter of a million workers on the Dominion frontier the chance of an education, young college graduates have been sent among them, recent news dispatches declare.

Psychologically sound is the method used to win the confidence of the laborers: the college man shows his ability with pick and shovel, ax and saw, so that his fellow laborers may judge him by their own standards. In the evenings, conditions are reversed; the college man gives instruction appropriate to the development of his pupils

In this manner, the men of the construction camps are being reached for the first time. Not least important of the results achieved is the Cannibalization of foreigners. In the United States, an adaption and extension of the method might well be applied to harvest hands and public utility laborers of the West. Among migratory workmen, conditions approximating the crudity of the frontier are common. With both natives and to eigners, university men could be as successful in distributing reading matter and developing a healthy social life in America as in Canada.

The combining of effort in a common cause raises the opinion of both laborer and college man for one another. To a considerable extent the Dominion thus prevents the formation of class barriers Canada has in part made good her boast that a university educator is within reach of the humblest.