NEW REQUIREMENTS AROUSE OPPOSITION

No Credit for Fall Examinations When Candidate Is Not Admitted, Declares Committee in Letter

Considerable opposition among members of the alumni has been aroused by the radical change in entrance requirements to the University announced yesterday by the Committee on Admission.

This change was embodied in a letter sent out by the Committee to the head masters and instructors of secondary schools, explaining the alteration of certain details of admission to the College and the Engineering School. It reads as follows:

September Exams Not Accepted

"September examinations, whether taken at Harvard or elsewhere, are no longer accepted as preliminary examinations. A boy who offers in September examinations which, if passed, will bring his total credit to 15 units, is a final candidate; but if he fails of admission at that time the examinations which he then passes cannot be used in a later year as credit toward admission."

Many alumni have criticised this provision severely because they feel that injustice is done to the ambitious schoolboy who desires to take some examinations in the fall in order to lighten the burden of his senior year at school or to enter college a year earlier. He may be prevented by illness from taking examinations in the spring, and he naturally in the past has made them up in the fall. No provision is made in the committee's announcement for such a case.

Alumni Voice Disapproval

The Committee, on Admission, of which Mr. Henry Pennypacker is chairman, maintains, on the other hand, that neither this nor any other of the minor changes announced is radical in nature. But certain of the alumni have already voiced their disapproval. In the "Transcript" last evening one alumnus was quoted as saying, "Alumni who have boys preparing to enter the University are beginning to express themselves very forcibly against the committee which put through this rule. It is extremely unjust to deprive a boy of his points when he has earned them by hard work and has been willing to sacrifice his whole vacation, in many cases, or part of it, to earn them."

The opposition to the new ruling seems to concentrate on the injustice of not permitting schoolboys to get credit for examinations taken in the fall unless they enter college in the same year. It is a well known fact that many men have gained a large proportion of their points for admission in these September examinations before their senior year in school, so that the ruling is likely to make a great deal of difference to all those entering the University hereafter.