1925 COACH QUESTION ONCE MORE IS RAMPANT

CHOICE OF FISHER'S SUCCESSOR MAY BE MADE NEXT WEEK

Speculations concerning the muchanticipated appointment of a head coach for the University football team are becoming more widespread as the time for a definite decision in the matter draws near. Many of the rumors concerning possibilities for the appointment have been revived due to the recent visit in Cambridge of Major Charles D. Daly '01, who has been considered one of the most probable aspirants for the position.

Any possibility of the participation of Major Daly in more than a superficial coaching capacity, however, has been emphatically denied. As an instructor in the military science department for next year the greater part of his attention must necessarily be devoted to that work. Colonel Robert Browining, U. S. A. commanding officer of the Harvard R. O. T. C., to whose unit Major Daly has been ordered to report, when questioned in regard to the latter's plans, emphasized the fact that any opportunity of Major Daly to act in the capacity of football teacher would be limited to his spare time. "Major Daly" he said, "is being welcomed to the University as a crack field artilleryman, a phase of army work which we are stressing, as a Harvard graduate and as a West Point man. Any coaching work will be purely incidental."

It has also been rumored that the purpose of Major Daly's trip to Washington after leaving Boston was for the purpose of handing in his resignation from the Army. This is alike unfounded as his appointment to the military science unit has been definitely made.

Speculation concerning a definite settlement of the whole football question will in all probability last no more than a week longer. According to Captain Cheek, who is a member of the Athletic Committee, the appointment of the head coach will almost certainly be announced at the next meeting of the Committee, March 4. Until then the members are sworn to secrecy regarding any previous deliberations.