NEW TOMB TO BE SEALED UNTIL REISNER'S ARRIVAL

CAIRO DISPATCH SAYS TOMB IS SNEFERUW'S

The new tomb recently discovered at the Giza pyramids by the Harvard-Boston Expedition is to be closed up and sealed until the return of Dr. George A. Reisner '89, Professor of Egyptology and Director of the expedition, it was announced yesterday.

This decision was reached after cable consultations with Mr. Lacau, the Director General of the Egyptian Department of Antiquities, with Mr. Alan Rowe, Acting Director of the Expedition, and with Mr. C. M. Firth, director of the Egyptian Government excavations at Saqqarah.

The object of sealing the tomb is to enable Dr. Reisner to utilize his experience in recording this unique discovery. Nothing has been touched inside the tomb. Those who have seen the find have only looked in from the doorway at the bottom of the 80 foot shaft. The date of Dr. Reisner's return to Egypt has not yet been determined.

The tomb, whose discovery was announced last Tuesday, is reported to be some 1700 years older than that of Tut-Ankh-Amen. Dr. Reisner, who has just returned from Egypt, declared that the tomb is probably that of an Egyptian princess and not of the Cheops or Sneferuw as it was at first reported. From the reports received from his assistants and from his own knowledge of the situation, Dr. Reisner concludes the tomb to be of the Fourth Dynasty. If Dr. Reisner's conclusion proves to be true, this new tomb is the only important intact tomb antedating the Sixth Dynasty.

In contradiction with the statement made by Dr. Reisner that the tomb discovered by the Harvard-Boston expedition to Egypt was not the tomb of Sneferuw, the New York Times prints a dispatch from Cairo to the London Times saying that prominent Egyptologists agree that the Reisner Expedition's discovery is undoubtedly the tomb of Sneferuw, although the precarious situation of the shall makes accurate observation impossible. The dispatch to the London Times reads as follows:

"The authorities to continue to preserve strict secrecy regarding further investigation of the new Giza tomb, but I learn today from a source which I have every reason to consider trustworthy that one of the expert Egyptologists working at Saqqarah descended into the shaft and after reading the inscription expressed the opinion that it was the tomb of Sneferuw himself."