DEFENDS SENATE ACTION IN WARREN CONTROVERSY

Dickinson Declares Upper House Is Only Putting Into Practice Principle of Checks and Balances

"It is unfair to criticize the Senate's action in rejecting Mr. Warren as being obstructive and unreasonable, without a full examination of all the facts which were before the Senate when it acted," said Dr. John Dickinson, lecturer in the Government Department, in a statement to the Crimson last night.

Discussing the whole controversy, which closed yesterday when Mr. Warren refused to accept a recess appointment, Dr. Dickinson went on:

"Those facts involve Mr. Warren's connection with business concerns, which might place him in the awkward position, in the event of his becoming Attorney General, of having to bring suit against corporations with which he has until very recently been intimately associated.

"No feature of the American Constitutional system has received more praise than the principle of checks and balances. The Senate's rejection of Mr. Warren's nomination is an almost ideal example of the operation of this principle in practice.

"From the standpoint, therefore, of the theory on which our system of government is based, there can be no valid objection to the exercise of this power by the Senate."

Dr. Dickinson brought to witness the unfortunate choices of the last administration as brought to light by the Teapot Dome scandal, and pointed out that the Senate could not proceed without examination.