MOVIE HOUSE HERE GOES BEYOND RUMOR

Unnamed Firm Now Making Plans--Gordon's Olympia Company Not Interested--Tradesmen Back Rumor

A moving picture theatre for Harvard Square is the substance of a rumor which persists among the inhabitants of the Square, according to several of the tradesmen who volunteered information to a CRIMSON representative. The situation of the proposed theatre is a vacant lot in back of the Brock Building on the west side of the Square. An entrance to the theatre would be opened on Massachusetts Avenue.

Definite information regarding the firm which will build the theatre has been inaccessible. The Gordon Olympia Theatres Corporation, which has theatres all over Greater Boston, denied all rumors to the effect that they might be the firm who contemplated establishing such a theatre. "We have already got two theatres in Cambridge, and that is enough for the present", said the head of the Gordon firm when interviewed upon this question.

According to some of the tradesmen who occupy the stores in the block occupied by the Brock Building, the company which is planning the venture of a Harvard Square Theatre, is one which has several moving picture houses of the "Fenway" type throughout New England, although they have not as yet established any branches in the vicinity of Boston. The name of this firm could not be discovered.

Negotiations Under Way

Mr. C. A. Newhall, Boston realtor and owner of the property upon which the proposed theatre would stand, said that although such plans had been broached upon by a certain moving, picture firm, he had as yet made no definite arrangements and could make no statement as to the name of the firm or the probability of the establishment of a theatre on his property. When approached upon the subject by a CRIMSON reporter, Mr. Newhall said, "No definite transactions have taken place, and I have no authority to make any statement upon the idea of a theatre at Harvard Square, beyond the fact that negotiations for the rental of my property have been under way."

Tunnel Through to Street

The property in question consists of a rather large vacant lot directly back of the Brock Building. This piece of land is large enough to accommodate a good-sized theatre, and space is available for an entrance tunnel to the sidewalk of Massachusetts Avenue just north of the "Splendid" cafeteria. This entrance tunnel would, however, necessitate the removal of one or two of the stores which now occupy that block.