Crimson Contest Competitors Attack Tutorial System and Grading Methods--"Padlock P. B. H." Suggests One

The following quotations, culled hastily and at random from the mass of essays submitted in the Crimson's prize essay contest, which closes today at 5 o'clock, give an indication of the variety of subjects touched upon in the contributions received so far.

"Harvard's graduate schools are so encroaching on the College, that the College is now crying out for breathing space."

"The University has made the entrance examinations so difficult and narrow that it is chiefly the 'book-worm' or 'plugger" type of student that can get into the College."

"The man in academic difficulties and the man out for distinction will both, if intelligent, spend all possible time on the next course report or examination, and avoid their tutors."

"Most of the faults of our College can be traced to the inertia of the student body."

"The present standard of grading in Harvard College has a leg in the grave."

"Educators . . . assume in their fat conceit that their own state of mind is the desirable one."

"The requirements for academic promotion ought to be based not on erudition alone, but on personality and ability to teach."

"If someone will put a padlock on the Phillips Brooks House until the money it wants to spend on a new chapel has gone into a theatre, that man will do a great service to the University.